Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty is a network of political and social conservatives who question the alignment of capital punishment with conservative principles and values. We are a project of Equal Justice USA (EJUSA), a rapidly growing national organization working to transform the justice system by promoting responses to violence that break cycles of trauma. EJUSA works at the intersection of criminal justice, public health, and racial justice to elevate healing and safety over retribution, advance racial equity, and meet the needs of survivors.
EJUSA has 30 extraordinary staff members throughout the country and a small national office in Brooklyn. We are a diverse, passionate team that loves working together to deliver real change.
We seek a sharp, personable, organized Western Regional Organizer to help build Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty’s visibility and strengthen our network of state-based groups throughout the western United States. The organizer will build relationships with partners and educate and mobilize conservatives in key states to support campaigns against the death penalty. The ideal candidate will have experience and credibility working with conservatives, comfort collaborating across political differences, strong communication and outreach skills, and a commitment to fairness and racial equity.
This position reports to the Director of National Organizing and Narrative Shifting, will work closely with the National Manager for Conservatives Concerned, and participate in EJUSA’s death penalty team. This will be a full time remote position based in AZ, NV, UT, or WY.
- Participate in state-wide anti-death penalty coalitions, including in AZ, UT, NV, and WY, to help implement strategy and tactics that educate the public in those states and elevate support for ending the death penalty.
- Work with other EJUSA team members to integrate conservative allies into state level death penalty work throughout the region.
- Build and maintain relationships with individuals and leaders of conservative groups whose interests might align with anti-death penalty arguments, including groups that advocate for limited government, pro-life groups, faith communities, criminal justice reform groups, and others.
- Recruit, train, and empower new Conservatives Concerned supporters in key states and throughout the region, and mobilize them to take action opposing executions, supporting policy change, and growing the network.
- Strengthen local Conservatives Concerned branches by providing ongoing coaching, training, and support to increase their recruitment, visibility, and integration with other local efforts to oppose the death penalty; work with anti-death penalty coalitions to recruit and launch new Conservatives Concerned branches.
- Identify and participate in meetings and events that foster relationships with members of the legal community, faith leaders, current and former law enforcement, family members of murder victims, legislators, and other community leaders.
- Implement communications plans, including creating content for social media, writing op-eds, organizing press conferences, and giving media interviews.
- Represent Conservatives Concerned at key conferences and events.
- Participate in EJUSA staff meetings and internal strategy discussions about how to engage conservatives in all aspects of EJUSA’s work.
- Participate in relevant grant proposal development, monitoring, and reporting, as needed.
- Other responsibilities, as needed.
- At least 2 years of experience in outreach, event organizing, advocacy, or a related field.
- Experience and familiarity working with conservatives on issue-based campaigns.
- Familiarity with the political and cultural landscape of states in the western region, including the region’s conservative communities.
- Excellent interpersonal relationship building, networking, and social skills; ability to connect authentically and build trust with diverse groups of people, especially across religious and political ideologies; excitement about reaching out to and building relationships with new people and groups.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including experience with public speaking and preparing others to do so.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, meet deadlines, keep things moving, and maintain a high attention to detail; flexible and tenacious.
- A positive attitude, friendly personality, sense of humor, and the ability to get along with many types of people
Comfort working on a Mac or willingness to learn, and familiarity with Google Suite, Microsoft Office, and Dropbox, preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25% of the time, preferred.
- Commitment to racial equity.
Location: Remote in AZ, NV, UT, or WY
Target start date: As soon as possible.
Compensation: $70K commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including employer-paid medical and dental care, retirement plan, paid vacation, sick days, and holidays, disability insurance, and professional development allowance.
To apply: Visit bit.ly/CCATDP-West-Apply to apply online. Upload a cover letter and resume in PDF format only by clicking “I’m interested” at the top of the page. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No calls please.
Deadline: Open until filled
EJUSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage a diverse pool of candidates to apply, including those impacted by the issues we work on. We consider all applicants on the basis of their ability to perform the job, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, physical appearance, age, mental or physical disability, credit history, veteran status, uniform service member status, justice system involvement, victims of domestic violence, stalking, or other crimes, political affiliation, or any other legally protected class. EJUSA does not tolerate discrimination or harassment against any of the above listed classes.